Michael R. Sytsma, PhD
- PhD – University of Georgia – Child & Family Development (COAMFT approved Marriage & Family Therapy degree) with a specialization in Marriage and Family Therapy. Dissertation – Sexual Desire Discrepancy in Married Couples
- MS – Community Counseling- Georgia State University
- Diploma – Christian Counseling – Psychological Studies Institute
- BS – Christian Ministry – Indiana Wesleyan University (Marion College)
- Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) – GA #001970
- Certified Sex Therapist (CST) – American Board of Christian Sex Therapists.
- Certified Professional Counseling Supervisor – CPCS – LPCA GA
- Sex Therapy
- Sexual Addictions
As a therapist, Michael is a compassionate pastor who is not afraid to encourage you to grow. He believes God gives each of us the strength we need to become all He desires us to become and to grow our marriage into the intimate union God designed. His workshops and seminars have touched many couples in the Southeast. He is a regular speaker at national AACC (American Association of Christian Counselors) and CAPS (Christian Association for Psychological Studies) conferences and to other Pastors, counselors and therapists to the Christian community.
Michael has been working with couples in a variety of capacities since 1987. He is a Licensed Professional Counselor in the state of Georgia, a Certified Sex Therapist, and a Certified Sexual Addictions Specialist (Trainer level). He is also an ordained minister with The Wesleyan Church and has served as a staff pastor for churches with attendance from 30 to over 1000. He is currently appointed to Building Intimate Marriages, Inc. by The Wesleyan Church. Michael received his BS in Christian Ministry from Indiana Wesleyan University, an MS in Community Counseling from Georgia State University, and a diploma in Christian counseling from Psychological Studies Institute. Michael also has a Ph.D. from the University of Georgia in Child and Family Development / Marriage and Family Therapy where he specialized in marital sexual therapy. His dissertation was on “Sexual Desire Discrepancy in Married Couples”. Michael has recently joined with 3 Christian sex therapists in founding Sexual Wholeness, Inc.
Michael and Karen have been married since 1985 and have two sons, Josiah and Caleb.